of the Czech Rectors Conference Presidium on the Cooperation with the Ukrainian Rectors Conference
Czech Rectors Conference (CRC) Presidium held at its 178th Meeting (21 March 2022, on-line) a discussion with the Ukrainian Rectors Conference Vice-President, Volodymir Bugrov, Rector of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, of support options for Ukrainian Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) by HEIs of the Czech Republic. CRC President, Martin Bareš, explained the CRC unequivocal support for Ukraine against Russian war aggression, as well as uncompromising condemnation of war crimes committed by the Russian army against the civilian population. In conclusion, he stated that the assistance to Ukraine and its higher education is the top priority for the CRC. After the end of the bilateral meeting, the CRC Presidium adopted the following resolution:
1. CRC Presidium agreed with V. Bugrov on the need for a solution not only of the humanitarian problems which are now facing the people of Ukraine, but also of the following issues relating to higher education:
- Enhancing opportunities for international academic mobility for Ukrainian students.
- Open access to databases, libraries, repositories, on-line programs for training students and staff (research resources) of Ukrainian HEIs.
- The opportunity to continue research – virtual visiting professorships, or short visits of Ukrainian scientists with the condition of their return to Ukraine.
- Mini-grants for professors who are in Ukraine.
- International academic mobility programs as the basis for implementation double degree programs from the first semester of 2022/2023 academic year.
- Creation of common research projects, launching of common alliances, common science parks using technological capabilities of both sides.
- Formation of common applications for projects for calls announced by the European Commission.
- Creation of strategic alliances between Ukrainian and Czech Republic HEIs for further renovation and development of the Ukrainian higher education system.
- Creation of the Open Ukrainian University (regional centres in some EU countries – in particular in the Czech Republic) to connect students and teachers from Ukraine with foreign partners.
2. CRC Presidium will create a list of problems that need to be solved by HEIs of the Czech Republic and their timing. Some will need to be solved immediately, some in weeks, others in months or years. Each of CRC Vice-Presidents, Rectors of public HEIs, will prepare a proposal for his vice-presidency area, on the basis of which a CRC Presidium proposal will be prepared. The proposal will be submitted to the CRC Plenum for discussion on its 165th Meeting on Thursday 7 April 2022 in Prague. The Ukrainian Rectors Conference will be informed of an outcome of this meeting and a further on-line meeting of the presidencies of both Rectors Conferences will be agreed.
Brno, 21 March 2022
On behalf of the Czech Rectors Conference Presidium
Prof. Martin Bareš
Czech Rectors Conference President